My work on it 8) 8)
Short history of the club:
The idea, a sports club to be founded, arose in 1911's among few Sofia pupils of junior high school of the neighboring area of the streets Vitoshka, Skobellev and Patriarch Evtimy. Five sporting clubs such as: "Club Football" (Matinkata), "Razvitie", "Botev", "Rakovsky" and "Football Club" (Savata) had already been founded in Sofia by that time. That's why the newly established club was informally called "The Sixth Club". The development of the new club was restrained because of the immature age of its members and the two Balkan Wars broken out next year.
The pupils' dream didn't become a true till the spring of 1914. On the 24th of May, the same year, a constituent assembly took place on the ground of the local area called "Moghilkata" where a group of 20 - 30, already, high school pupils established officially the new sporting club. At the suggestion by Boris Vassillev (Borkisha), the club was given the name "Levski", an adopted name of Vassill Levski, the greatest Bulgarian revolutionary from the era of Turkish oppression.
The governing body was appointed by the Assembly: a club executive -Vladimir Gheorghiev (Vladissa), a deputy-executive Gheorghi Manolov (Manoleto), a club secretary- Krum Dinkov, an exchequer - Boris Vassillev (Borkisha), members-Stefan Toshkov and Atanas Yankov, a club steward Kostadin Manolov. As for control committee were appointed Zaphir Abrashev, Krum Trayanov, Lubomir Tchavdarov.
The club's managerial staff were the team's players as well.
A club's organization chart was compiled and appointed by the Home Secretary a few months later. The club's full name "Sofia Sporting Football Club LEVSKI" could be read on the front page of the Home Office ordinance № 744 of 23rd of May 1919. The heading article was "... Establishes on the 24th of May 1914 a "Sofia Sporting Football Club LEVSKI".
In 1934 in accordance with a request from the Home Office a new registration of sporting clubs in the country was made. A Court Order № 519 of 28th of June 1934 issued that the Sporting Club "LEVSKI" was registered as a corporate body.
In the autumn of 1944 with the methods of total managerial cleansing along with political pressure a new legislation of the sports clubs was made by then established communist regime. It merged "Levski" with the "Post Office Sporting club" (POSC), previously known as Sport Club "Prince Cyril". A new merged club got the name POSC "Levski". Under such a name club existed no longer than a year, then it was given back the previous name, but with the abbreviation A.O ahead the club's name "Levski" which stood for Athletic Organization.
A consecutive structural transformation of the sports club was made in September 1949. According the new coined law the clubs' ownership was taken from their presidents and handed to the various state's department's management under government's supervising. "Levski" became "Dinamo", a club managed by the Board of Workers of food Processing industry. Such a Soviet principles of sports management was established to the other clubs as well.
In April 1957 followed by new state interference the old club's name, "Levski" was restored and licensed to practice sport activities on the grounds of Sofia's quarter of "Vassil Levski". The club's status remained the same until the end of 1968, when a new insane reorganization was being under the way. A new merging of a few clubs into one, launched by the communist government had in mind to make mark country's sport to the European and world standards .The state decision to merge "Levski" with "Spartak" (a home office's Managed club) turned the club into militarized sport organization with an absurd name "Levski Spartak". That merging ended in June 1985 during the F.A.'s Cup final match between archrivals CSKA and "Levski" when outrageous scenes of fights and violence between the two teams' players lead to severe government punishment for the club. Levski's managers, players and club president were sacked by the Ministry of Sport, the managing club structures were reorganized then the club was renamed to "Vitosha" by the State's powerful General Secretary Committee of Communist Party.
Nevertheless in 1990 the club took back its original name. Since 1998 the club has already obtained the status of Ltd. as a professional football club, nowadays its full name for the officials is PFC " Levski"- Ltd. However at the hearts of the generations of its supporters the club's name has remained simply "Levski". The other names being given to the club through the years by the tyrannical communist regime will remain in club's history either as an awful mark about the times of pressure on one hand or on the other as a warning to everyone who forgets the national poet Ivan Vazov 's words: "…the flame eternal by itself couldn't be ceased …" .
Initially the players wore jerseys with red and yellow vertical stripes and black shorts. The kit was bought from Romania and it was club's official kit from 1914 till 1920. The blue has become club's colors since 1921 while yellow is usually worn as an away jersey.
The first club sign was designed in 1922 by Mintcho Katchullev. A blue square with a handwritten Cyrillic letter "Л" (L) of yellow and red color. At both square's upper corners were written the letters "С" and "К" (for sport club). This had been the club badge until 1949, when it was replaced by hexagon shaped badge with vertical stripes of yellow, red, blue and white as a background of handwritten letter "D" for "Dinamo". Next one was a blue and white shield with a red horizontal stripe at its upper end and letters "Л" and "С" for ‘"Levski Spartak".During the shamefull period 1985-1990 when the club was called Vitosha the emblem was a Cyrillic letter "B"(V) with a flying ball in it's upper part.Since 1990 with the return of the name the original emblem was also returned to use.There's a modern version of the emblem with a shield shape and without the red&yellow colours but it's not approved by the majority of fans so hopefully in the following year the original emblem will be returned.
At the beginning the club didn't own a stadium and trainings were done on the pitch called "Moghilkata".
A few years later around 1919 - 1920 the trainings were moved to the pitch of the 5 th Sofia's Regiment Infantry, now it is the place where the memorial "1300 years of Bulgaria" has been erected .
The first terrain given to the club by the Municipality was in 1924, a land close to "Orloff most", then it was in the end of the town, a place usually used by the people to throw their rubbish.
The stadium was built in 1934 with the volunteers' labor and finance.
The "Levski" pitch is one of the most used pitches in the capital. Hard cindered, with a track athletics surrounding it and stands for about 10 000, this was the place not just for league matches, but for national athletics championships too.
The estate was generally valued for about 15 000 USD of the 1934's prices. It became the most used ground in Sofia for various sport events.
In 1949 the communist governing state decided to build a new national stadium right on the site where the pitch "Levski" had been built with the volunteer labor of people. The club was temporary permitted to do its trainings on the "Yunack" pitch, then in 1952 it was given a site for a new stadium in the area of "Ivan Vazov" quarter.
Its official home matches the team plays at the new national stadium, which was named "Vassil Levski" for Levski's fans reassurance at least.
In 1960's the club was given a new site to build its third stadium on the ground of the 5th capital's quarter "Gerena". The architect of the new stadium was Lazar Parashkevanov, it was being build for 3 years. The inauguration of the stadium "Gerena" (which formal name was "Levski") was on the 10th of the March 1963.
After the merging of "Levski" with "Spartak" in 1969, on the area surrounding the stadium was built a sports centre for gymnastics, boxing, weight lifting, volleyball etc. The centre has 4 training grass pitches as well.
Since 1990 the stadium has borne the name of its most famous player "Gheorghy Asparukhov". Its pitch's measures now are 120 x 90 sq. meters with stands for 30 000 people. Totally renewed and modernized with the financial support of "Gheorghy Asparukhoff stadium Foundation", these days it is one of the most modern stadiums within the country.
IT IS JUST A REMEMBRANCE WHAT HE LEFT FOR US.
Born on the 4 th of May 1943 in Sofia, tragically died in a car crash accident on the 30th of January 1971. He palyed for "Levski" from 1960 to 1961, then from 1963 to 1971. Durring his military service he played for "Botev" Plovdiv in season 1962 - 1963.
First official match for Levski: 22.09.1960, Levski vs Lokomotiv.
Last official match : 28.06.1971 - Levski vs CSKA.
First Goal - 28.09.1960 in Plovdiv vs Botev - 1:1.
Last Goal - 13.06.1971 in Veliko Turnovo vs Etur.
Matches in "A" League: 244 - 199 for Levski, 45 for Botev.
Goals in "A" League: 150 - 125 for Levski, 25 for Botev.
Matches in the FA Cup tournaments - 35, 27 for Levski, 8 for Botev.
Goals in the FA Cup - 20, 16 for Levski, 4 for Botev.
Total matches for the clubs - 326 and 209 goals.
Champion of Bulgaria: 1965, 1968 и 1970
FA Cup Winner: 1962, 1968, 1970, 1971, last time in 1971 (post humously).
Int. caps: (Champions League and Cup Winners' Cup excluded) 35, 32 for Levski, 2 for Botev.
Goals in international matches: 23, 20 for Levski, 3 for Botev.
Champions League and Cup Winners' Cup - 14 matches and 16 goals - 8 matches and 9 goals for Levski, 6 matches and 7 goals for Botev.
First intnl. cap. 06. 05. 1962 Bulgaria vs Austria.
Last intnl. cap. 12. 06. 1970 Bulgaria vs Morocco.
Nat. Squad caps: 50
Nat. Squad goals: 19
Note: 18 matches for the Nat. Squad were played in World Cup Finals round-ups, with 11 goals.
3 World Cups Finals rounds -1962, 1966, 1970
The best scorer in the Bulgarian Championship for 1964/1965 season with 27 goals.
The best Bulgaria's sportsman for the year 1965.
Europe's "Golden Ball" competition for 1965, 8th place.
The "Fair Play" award for 1999 (posthumously).
Bulgaria's player for the 20 th century.
40th place at FIFA's eternal classification for the player of the world in 1999.
THE UNFORGETTABLE MOMENTS OF GHUNDY’S LIFE*
( Asparukhov 's nickname was Ghundy )
... 1950 was the time when he firstly played football on the meadows of his neighborhood area. The balls he used to play were sewn by his granny, most of them stuffed with rags. It lead the boy to the world of football magic. When one day a slim, tall lad was introduced to Kotze Gheorghiev, a coach, he gave the lad a hard time, testing his capabilities and condition. At the end of the tests he said to his father:
"..This lad was born with the heart of a football player"...
At the beginning he was given the position at the centre of the defense. In his early career he used to play as a defender for his height.
He took a part in a volleyball team too and was talented player there as well, so when the time came up, it was very hard for Ghundy to make up his mind.
However on the 5 th of June 1960 he played his first official match for the "Levski".
A few years later Gheorghy Asparukhov played his first international cap for the Youth National Squad vs Austria. This time became clear for his coaches that the best position in team for the youngster was as a central forward.
Just 19 he was invited in the first national squad for the World Cup Finals in Chile, then he became a leading figure as a player not justfor his club but for the National Squad too. 1965, the year when he was on the crest of his glory. He became a champion for his club "Levski".
On the 29 th of December 1965 he took a part in the play-off qualification between Bulgaria and Belgium for the World Cup Finals in 1966 in the UK. The match played on the neutral ground of Florence finished with victory for Bulgarians. After two goals scored by Ghundy and his brilliant game, the National Squad qualified for the World Cup finals.
His successful career went on along many injuries, some of them caused by players incapable to stop him with fair play tackles. In many occasions he underwent surgery operations. Ignoring this he remained through all his career a significant gentleman on the pitch and out of it, famous for his modest and tolerant character as a player and a person. On the 28th of June 1971 in his last match of the season having been fouled by other player he answered the provocation and was sent off for the second and last time in his life!
A DAY LIKE A NIGHTMARE ...
The following day - June the 30th 1971 he drove off to the town of Vratza along with his team mate Nickola Kotkov. They were about to play in a friendly anniversary match of the local club. The car driven by Ghundy crashed into a heavy lorry vehicle and was set on fire. If he had waited for the change of the petrol attendant having filled his car he would have avoided the crash, but being generous he drove off. This tragic accident ceased the life of the most talented Bulgarian player at the age of 28. At his funeral about 550 000 mourners came to give their Fare Well to the person and the player.
FOREVER AND ANYWHERE